Peer-to-peer network issues
This topic is only for workgroup
When connecting to another Windows computer some non-default
security options need to be set on the target Windows XP computers,
or Event Log Explorer may return the message "Access is
If the target XP (or Windows Vista or Windows 7) computer is a
workgroup computer rather than a domain, then the default setting
for remote log in is 'guest', which is not enough security level to
manage event logs.
How to fix the problem.
Under Guest Only -
Local users authenticate as guest to Classic - Local users authenticate as
Here is the step-by-step instruction:
1. Log on to the target Windows computer with Administrator
2 Click Start and select Control Panel.
3. Make sure that the Control Panel displays its icon in Classic
View ( To switch Control Panel from Category view to classic view
you should click Switch to Classic View on the left pane of
Control Panel window)
4. Double click the Administrative Tools icon.
5. In the Administrative Tools window, double click Local
6. In the Local Security Settings window, in the left-hand pane,
double click Local Policies then click Security
7. In the right-hand pane,double click Network Access: Sharing
and security model for local accounts.
8. In the dialog box, select option to Classic – local users
authenticate as themselves.
9. Click OK button
Note. With classic security model your users should
not have blank passwords because it will be possible to
crack into the workstation by unauthorized persons. If your users
will have blank passwords anyway double click Accounts: Limit
local account use of blank passwords to console logon only. In
the dialog box, select option to Disabled.
Repeat this procedure on each Windows computer in the
Remote Registry Service must be running on the target
© 2005-2013 FSPro Labs. All rights reserved.